Sunday, August 25, 2013

08-19-13 First Day Wood Carving, Sukawati, Kecak



Starting from today, I will have my 5-day mask-carving lessons in Anom’s studio every morning. By the time when I am writing this paragraph, my mask has already surpassed my expectations by a lot, even though it has only been two days. I decided not to include the progress of my lessons in a daily journal, but to make a serial comparison when all is finished.


After mask carving, Ms. Van Gelder and I stopped at Sukawati Market and enjoyed looking through traditional Balinese baskets, handcrafts and offerings. Later in the evening, we watched the famous Kecak dance, also known as the Ramayana Monkey Chant, performed by a circle performers percussively chanting "cak" and throwing up their arms. this dance depicts a battle from the Ramayana. The Kecak style is unique, even in Bali. At the end, there was a Fire Dance where a male dancer went into trance and danced over burning embers with his bare feet. Because he was in a trance state, the hot embers didn't burn his feet.



Anom, my wood-carving teacher, carving a chunk of wood


_________
suwakati market




woman selling flowers for the offerings

sawong! our favorite fruit



Kecak dance fire


No comments:

Post a Comment