Saturday, August 24, 2013

08-17-13 New Family New Start



Day 15 8.17     

Today is the day to say goodbye to Pak Catra's family and move on to a new village, Mas. It seems unbelievable to me how fast time flies. Mas is a village famous for its woodcarving, and I will be learning mask-carving from Ida Bagus Anom, who was born into a family of traditional mask-carvers.

Saying goodbye to the family was hard, because after two weeks of engaging into all family activities, we really felt like family members. After a traditional Balinese banquet lunch waved goodbye, we drove to Mas in whereI embraced my new family – Ari and his four children. At the point when I was writing this, I sincerely wish that I could stay in Bali for a longer time.

With everything being settled down, Anom accompanied us to Setia Darma House of Mask and Puppets to give me a history and context for my mask carving lessons. Over 1200 masks and 4700 puppets are included in the collection; not just Balinese, puppets are collected all over the world. Some Chinese dancing lions, for instance, were exhibited next to Balinese barongs (the same kind of lion-like creature), so the difference and similarities between them was made evident. With Anom explaining, I started to develop a concept of what I will be doing on the next day. Something fun!



javanese styled masks

Balinese barong (left) and Chinese lion dance (right)

typical Balinese mask

typical Balinese mask(2)

typical Balinese mask(3) - he's a clown



typical Javanese styled puppet
something interesting - shadow puppet of bible 

an amazing entrance



huge cremation we walked pass

fume 

me with a giant balinese puppet





No comments:

Post a Comment